Walker home damaged in house fire
By Everett Brazil, III
The Newkirk Herald Journal
NEWKIRK — Retired Newkirk Assistant Fire Chief Tim Walker lost part of his home Thursday evening, Nov. 19 when a fire raged in one of the bedrooms in what is considered only a partial loss.
Walker called in the fire about 6:36 p.m.
“He had just gotten home and smelled smoke in the house, and saw fire coming from the east bedroom,” said Newkirk Fire Chief Adam Longcrier.
Newkirk and Kildare firefighters worked together to battle the flams, and immediately entered the home upon arrival.
“The first engine came in, and I instructed them to go inside the home. They got a line in there, and got a great attack on the fire,” Longcrier said. “The east bedroom was fully involved when they made entry to the house.”
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the east bedroom, which saw the primary fire damage to the home. About 90 percent of items in the room were damaged or destroyed, he said.
No injuries were reported, including to the animals living in the home.
Longcrier believes it was electrical in nature, as it sparked near the breaker box in the bedroom.
Longcrier is thankful of the efforts of both fire departments in containing the fire.
“It was great work of the guys getting in there and stopping the fire. We constantly train for something like this,” he said. “We thank Kildare for everything they do for us.”